After moving to a village location I found a great alternative to slow internet through the copper phone line.
Vodafone sell what is known as mobile wifi (Mifi) – wifi through the mobile phone network! We achieve speeds which are much greater than those predicted through the copper phone line – a big benefit being that my wife and I are able to watch films on Netflix, something we wouldn’t have been able to do at the lower speed.
- data usage allowance:
- consider how much data you need before signing up (your current broadband supplier should be able to tell you how much you’ve been using)
- get family members with good data availability through their mobile contract to use that instead
- consider turning down Netflix streaming quality down to standard definition
- you can buy extra bundled data; £20 for 15GB in any months that you need it
- important: set a data CAP in the “services and extras” tab on your Mifi account to prevent high overuse charges
- coverage/ speed check:
- Vodafone have a coverage checking tool on their website
- a good way of getting an idea of the speed you would get would be to ask a friend with a Vodafone mobile to complete a download speed check whilst at your home
- if you are not happy with the performance you could return the Mifi box and cancel the contract within the cancellation period